A new bylaw regarding how we nominate and elect officers has been approved by the GM-Council.
The bylaw reads:
- Annual elections for Officers will begin with the nomination period beginning on 1 NOVEMBER and continuing until 30 NOVEMBER.
- The voting period for the annual officer elections shall take place 1 DECEMBER to 7 DECEMBER.
- Elections for positions that become vacant shall be scheduled by the Chairman or designee so the needs of the fleet may be met.
- Any Game Master or member meeting the requirements for an officer position may be nominated by a member of the GM Council.
- Nominations must be accepted by the member nominated prior to the start of voting or will not be placed on the ballot.
- Members may accept nomination for as many positions that they are nominated for.
- If there is only a single member nominated for a position the nomination shall be considered unanimous and a single ballot shall be cast by the Vice Chairman for that member.
- If there are multiple members nominated for a position then Rank Choice Voting (RCV) shall be used.
- 1. Voters rank the candidates for a given office by preference on their ballots.
- 2. If a candidate wins an outright majority of first-preference votes (i.e., 50 percent plus one), he or she will be declared the winner.
- 3. If, on the other hand, no candidates win an outright majority of first-preference votes, the candidate with the fewest first-preference votes is eliminated.
- 4. All first-preference votes for the failed candidate are eliminated, lifting the second-preference choices indicated on those ballots.
- 5. A new tally is conducted to determine whether any candidate has won an outright majority of the adjusted voters.
- 6. The process is repeated until a candidate wins a majority of votes cast.
The following link shall be used as official reference: https://ballotpedia.org/Ranked-choice_voting_%28RCV%29